Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My Etsy Shop

I don't really talk too much about my Etsy shop or the goings on of my Etsy friends, but I have a shop (actually 2) and sewing is definitely involved! One of my blogging friends, Julia, posed a question about Etsy shops, and I decided this would be my answer to her question.

Julia asked: If any of you have an ETSY shop, what do you think? Is it profitable, worth your time and trouble, etc....?

So, what do I think? I really love having my shop. It's not particularly profitable, but I make enough to buy more fabric and supplies. This year, I might actually make a bit more. (I'm afraid my accounting skills are on the weak side, much to Roland's dismay.) What I really love about it is the friends that I've made through it. Now, if you want it to be a viable concern, then it certainly can be, and there are lots of sellers that have been able to "quit their day job". It takes a lot of work and dedication, and constant promotion. That's the part that I don't really like.


Enough with the boring part of Etsy (can you see why mine is not particularly profitable, lol!)... my 2 shops have evolved since I started 2-1/2 years ago. My original shop, Down the Street Creations, is now the location to find my mom's baby quilts, some vintage items, and some random accessories. My main focus is now at Jenna Belle Designs. I love making these little clutches, and I especially love making the custom monogrammed clutches. It is so fun to work with the clients, and I have sold them to brides, Derby attendees, and for proms and graduations.


 This picture is just half of an order for a bride that is getting married in August. She wanted different colors for each bridesmaid, with different styles of monogram to fit their personalities. It's such a sweet and thoughtful gift for her girls, and it has been so much fun working with her. Oh, she's getting one for herself, too!
As for those Etsy friends, I'm part of the greatest group of talented girls. When you visit Etsy, search the term dailychallenge for a glimpse of their talent. Not only do I consider them friends, but I also frequent their shops. I'll try to share some of my amazing purchases in future posts.

I'm not really sure if that answers Julia's questions, but feel free to ask me more about it!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you! I had just about decided that it wouldn't be worth my time after reading the comment of another young woman who had a shop and closed it. I may just try it afterall. I may be hounding you with questions galore!!! I hope you won't mind. The clutches are so pretty and perfect as bridesmaids' gifts. Thanks, again!
    Let me know when you are going to be up this way. I'll take you to lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I just checked out your stores. You are one talented lady!!!! I can see why you are having good luck with it!
    I was just given a whole bunch of furniture fabric samples that I'm thinking of making totes and purses from. They won't be anything like yours, or nearly as nice, but I may see what I can come up with putting them and some little dresses in a shop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your wares. I especially love the clutch out of the 1940s floral fabric, and when His Bertness gets a job, I will be a customer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a fairly new reader and I don't believe I have ever commented before, but I just had to comment on this post! I love your clutches! They are so pretty! I was thinking about getting a clutch for each of my bridesmaids (I am getting married June 18, 2011) and I will have to remember your shop when I get closer to buying! Do you ever do little purses for jr. bridesmaids that look a little less mature? Right now my number one choice for gifts is a clutch! They are such a great thank you gift! How far in advance should I think about purchasing a custom order for them?

    My email is jslate7@yahoo.com. I would love to get some more information from you about these! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails