Friday, July 8, 2011

A Little Cooking Challenge

NOTE: Cooking is really not my thing. But I am the primary cook in our household, so I have a shelf full of cookbooks. Recently, I was rummaging through said cookbooks trying to find something to take to a 4th of July party, and I came across the little "book" my mom put together of my Grandmother's recipes after she died.


Were she still alive today, next year would have been her 100th birthday. Wilma Emilie Janssen Lawton taught me to sew, and was a housewife extraordinaire. If you looked up the definition of grandmother, she would be it. I've decided to try to make all of the recipes over the course of this year and next. There are more than 90 recipes, but I have plenty of time as her birthday is November 2.


I started tonight. First, let me introduce you properly...


Wilma Lawton,
meet my blog friends. They are all fabulously talented, artistic and sweet.

And now, let's enjoy our first recipe (I am going to try to make these as close as possible to her original recipe):

Spanish Noodles
1 lb. coarsely ground beef
1/2 cup green pepper
2 small onions, chopped (I used about 1/4 of a large Vidalia onion)

Fry the above ingredients and then add:
1 can tomato soup (I used the Campbell's Healthy Request)
1 cup of water
2 cups of noodles
1/2 tsp celery salt
salt and pepper

Cover and simmer for 45 minutes and add 1 cup of grated cheese (I had a grated Mexican blend on hand).

That's it. Really easy, and while the cooking time seemed really long, the flavors all blended well and I was happy that I resisted the urge to add more spices. Roland went back for seconds, so it was a hit.


Next post will be back to sewing! I finished a refashion this morning.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful introduction to your Grand-Mother as well as a wonderful recipe. I knew you were a great cook. I hope there's some tex-mex recipes in that book too. I guess Spanish Noodles is tex-mex - right?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails