Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Wilma on Wednesday -- Butterscotch Slices

Last weekend was the kickoff to college football, and Roland and I are huge fans. "Our" team had an evening game, so I made these yummy cookies to bake during halftime.


Butterscotch Slices


3/4 c. shortening (I used a crisco stick)
1 t. vanilla
1 c. brown sugar (packed)
1 egg


Place in a mixing bowl, beat thoroughly.


Add 1/2 c. chopped nuts and mix. (I used pecans)


Sift together the following ingredients:
2 c. flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. cream of tartar
1/2 t. salt


Add to creamed mixture and mix thoroughly.

Chill dough. Shape into 2 loaves. I (Wilma) freeze these -- it makes slicing easier. Cut into 1/8 inch slices. (Can you tell that she loves to sew... who else would use 1/8!)


Bake at 400 deg. F for 6-8 minutes.


I shaped the loaves before chilling, and then put them both in the freezer. When we were ready for cookies, I pulled out one, and sliced only about 1/2 of it, and put the rest back in the freezer. Homemade slice and bakes! My slices were probably closer to 1/4 inch, but I baked them for the same amount of time. I like my cookies chewier rather than crunchy. Between the 2 of us we ate all those cookies in one sitting!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails