Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Forgotten Chambray Dress, Simplicity 2246

Have you ever almost finished something, and then completely forget about it? That's what happened with a chambray dress that I made and almost finished around the end of August. All it needed was the buttons, and then self stitched September rolled around, and it, literally, got tossed on a heap of fabric in my sewing area. What? You don't have heaps of fabric lying around. Well, anyway.


Let's back up a bit. The pattern is Simplicity 2246, and is one of the Lisette line. I knew right away that I would make it pretty much as is. Then I saw this in the JJill catalog:


... and I was sold. (Those little dots in the picture are my sharpie marks counting the tucks.)


So, I made the dress. Tucks and all. I did remember that I needed buttons, and I bought some sometime in September. And I finished it up a couple of weeks ago. Now, I wish I could give you lots of details on how I did it, or what size I made and how I made alterations and fit it perfectly, but I really don't remember. Oh, but when I when I went to put the buttons on, I noticed this:


The color is way off so ignore that, but yes, so is the hem. How the heck did that happen? And how did I not notice? OK, so I fixed that and then it was done.


Let's just see some pictures then:


I took the pictures last week, but I've worn it all day today, and I'm only giving it a Wearability Index (WI) of 7. It could (should?) be a little shorter. And I just don't think it's all that flattering. But I do like the way it fits on the top.


I'm totally thinking of cutting it off, and just making it into a shirt. And I think I have enough chambray scraps left to make a crescent skirt from the part I cut off. None of this is going to happen soon, though. Remember the wedding that is happening 1 week from Friday. Yeah, I have things to make for that first.


How about a final shot of what it will look like as just a shirt (and to see the tucks a little better):





5 comments:

  1. This is so cute, and I love that J Jill dress that was your inspiration.
    (had to pin it to my Pinterest board!). I really like it with the leggings, just needs to be a little shorter I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are on the same wavelength! I was just looking at chambray dresses for leggings last night. Yours is totally cute, and I agree-could be shorter.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails